All districts, returning and new, must consider this step each year. Depending on your district, you may prefer to have teachers create their classes when they first log in. An upload saves teachers time and offers a quicker implementation.
The Classes Tab takes all of the information from the other spreadsheets and puts it together to create classes, which we will refer to as Sections here. A Section is a list of students assigned to a teacher at school for the instruction of a course.
A description of each of the classes.csv file follows:
- Section Name: A Section Name is the name of a class of students assigned to a specific teacher. Please use this format for naming classes: Teacher Last Name, Grade Level, Subject. For example Mrs. Martin’s Third Grade Class this would be Martin Third Grade Math.
- Section ID: This is a unique identifier number for each class. Usually this is something created by your district’s Student Information System. If your system does not automatically produce something, then copy the Section Name from Column A, repeating those names here. However, if your SIS has a number for each class, use that.
- Teacher Email: As it appears in the User Information Tab.
- Grade: List the grade as Kindergarten, First grade, etc.
- Course ID: This will cross reference to the Course Info template. The generic IDs for math are:
- School ID: Please enter the NCES IDs as created in School Information. Check in your Schools tab if you are unsure what these are.
- Student ID: Please enter Student IDs as created in the Student tab.
Repeat columns A-F for each student to create each class (Section).